Thursday 30 August 2012

Getting a Nook Simple Touch: Part 1!!

It was a dark night filled with stars that illuminated the beautiful sky. I smiled as I decided to get a new e-book to read for a while... I then bought the book online, a harlequin cliché romance, with a cliché title too, and spent the rest of the night reading it on the bed on my e-book device. Aaaaaand I lived happily ever after.

....


Well, not really. This is a hypothetical situation i.e. what would have happened if I could get the e-book itself. Brace yourself for the truth, people!! Brace yourself!!


MY E-BOOK DEVICE'S EXISTENCE HAS BEEN COMPLETELY ERADICATED FROM THE WORLD OF E-BOOKS!!
Adobe Digital Editions doesn't recognise my dear, dear iRiver Story anymore, as evidenced from this:





Why, oh why why why, my dear Adobe Digital Editions, must you add the titles "Cover Story" and "HD"? If not, my life would be so much easier, and I would be reading my hypothetical harlequin e-book RIGHT NOW. But perhaps I needed a new one anyway -- I have never had any complaints with my iRiver Story, but even I know now it is severely outdated... I've kept it in more or less perfect condition for the past 2-3 years (I think?) but the disadvantages are really catching up now that they are compared to the newer models. Anyhow, it will always have a special place in my heart no matter what -- how can I ever neglect a present my parents specially bought just for me? :)

Sooooo, the first thing I did was to google the best e-book readers available on the market. Market research is important!

I came to the conclusion yesterday that the best product IMO would be the Kindle.... A Kindle Touch, to be exact, because I simply must have touchscreens for any electronic devices I own, if possible. Life is more fun that way!

However, the fact that all my books have to come from Amazon.com because Kindles don't allow e-books from purchased from other websites reeeeally is a pain in the butt. (lol.) This is a big issue because I really don't think Amazon alone has as many Harlequin romances and other books as compared to the other websites combined (i.e. ebooks.com, which the Kindle also rejects).

Apparently, the new Kindle Fire allows books from third-party websites now, but it's too expensive and I personally think it's more of a tablet (something like the iPad) than a pure e-book device. And no, I am not paying so much for only eight HOURS of battery life when most devices like the Kindle have about 1-2 months of that. (TWO MONTHS.)

And therefore, I was forced to re-evaluate my choices: (sigh) The Kindle's rivals, particularly the Nook and Kobo. After evaluating numerous websites, I have decided on the Nook Simple Touch (touchscreen of course) over the Kobo, because the latter pales in comparison in virtually every aspect as compared to the Nook and Kindle.

the Nook, Kindle, and Kobo respectively.

I'm kinda spoilt for choice, looking at the design of all three. They really look good, I must say. I prefer squarish edges to rounded ones, so the Kindle would probably win in the looks department (it's white. I LOVE WHITE.) But I have to say, the Nook looks rather.... futuristic, I would call it. It's like those that Tony Stark would use, always flicking his holograms in and out of the device. And the edges of the back are ergonomically designed, making it very supposedly very pleasant and comfortable to hold. (I have incredibly small hands, btw.)

Edit: 1/9/2012, I just realised the Nook isn't available in Singapore either... guess i'll have to go the long way of using third-party shipping service (Comgateway!!) just like the Kindle (meh.)

So, the choice has been made: The Nook Simple Touch! Cheers!!!
My adventures shall be continued in another post, when I do get this device. Till then! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment